...NEWS, POLITICS, LIFE AND BROOKLYN.

Monday, April 14, 2008

REMEMBERING IMPORTANT DATES



Simply put, I can't remember important dates, let alone not so important dates. This drives my Mom crazy. I can't tell you how many times I've asked her to send me a little cheat sheet to remind me of all of those birthdays; Mothers day, Father's day, etc. I'll often get calls from Mom and Dad reminding me that "tomorrow" is so and so's birthday.

I got Christmas down. That's the 25Th, right? This sort of thing used to drive my ex-girlfriends crazy. " Do you know what today is?," she would ask. I knew I was in trouble when I heard that question, so I'd say to her with a straight face, "It's your birthday, right.?" WRONG! It's our 2 year and 25 day anniversary since we kissed on that rock next to the creek in Boulder, Colorado. I'm not making this up. I'd be quizzed on all sorts of dates and anniversaries.

Here's the worst part of it all: THE GUILT TRIP. Girlfriends and wives are notorious for this. "You must not love me, if my birthday isn't important."
"How would you like it if I forgot your birthday." "This just shows where your priorities are."

Men aren't like this. My Dad doesn't pester me over these types of things. My guy friends don't give me a hard time if I forget an important date, but OMG, girlfriends, Moms, female co-workers...they're the worst.

And don't get me started on Valentines day. OK, you got me started. This is a holiday that was created solely for the greeting card, flower and chocolate industries. They're making a fortune off guilt. Thank goodness, I rarely forget this date. If it wasn't for all the newspaper ads for "Valentines day" dinners and TV and radio ads for 1-800-FLOWERS, I'd probably be lost.




A few years back when ex-girlfriends would ask on February 14Th, "Do you know what today is?,I would have a very unlikely response. "Oh honey, it's the 79Th anniversary of the Valentines Day massacre in Chicago. You know, when those two mob families battled it out during prohibition in the winter of 29." That always gets'm.

Oh, one more thing, don't forget to do your taxes by April 15Th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say.....say it now. Please be advised if your comment is crude, mean spirited or otherwize obscene or libelous, you won't see it. Otherwize, fire away and thanks for reading. George