...NEWS, POLITICS, LIFE AND BROOKLYN.

Friday, September 19, 2008

DO SOMETHING NICE FOR CHARITY



Looking for something to do this weekend? Want to help out a worthwhile charity at the same time? Then, look no further than the 3rd annual benefit for the Make-A-Wish Foundation at Long Island's Wantagh Park this Sunday, September 21. Every year, hundreds of people block to one of the picnic areas in the park to be entertained and fed. A pig roast highlights the event, along with an assortment of BBQ goodies, salads and plenty of cool refreshments. They have a huge raffle with some pretty cool giveaways.



Bring the kids, because there will magic shows and a variety of entertainment, including some great music. But, I've got a better reason. For the second year, I'll be emceeing the event. For those of you who have never been there, the park sits on the Merrick Bay in between Wantagh and Jone's Beach. The weather is supposed to be spectacular.

The easiest way to get there is on the Long Island Railroad. Take it to the Wantagh station, walk across the street to the car service business and you're five minutes away. Or, before you hop in the car, drop by the Wantagh Inn on the corner, a local institution. Or, if you're driving. Take the Southern State Parkway to Exit 27 South (Wantagh Parkway). Exit off the Wantagh Parkway at Sunrise Highway East. Make a right onto Wantagh Avenue. Take to the end and make right onto Merrick Road. At first light make a left into park.



Organizers suggest a $30 donation for the event, all of which benefits the local chapters of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Hope to see you there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi George - I found your blog when I was looking this Make-a-Wish event up, as I had gotten an email on it, and always check things out before commenting. The Make-a-Wish Foundation is a wonderful organization. I have donated, and know of people that it helped.
    I am a vegetarian. While I am not militant in my actions, and try not to impose my views on others, I do have strong convictions. This is a family event. The idea of having a whole pig like that is cruel. Why someone would think that would be family type entertainment is, frankly, beyond my understanding. I have 2 boys, and yep, they eat meat. It's their choice. Vegetarianism is mine. For an organization that is all about compassion, this act does not seem very compassionate to me. Have a barbeque, offer vegetarian options for those who may not want meat, or may want to try them. But a whole pig? I know the first time I saw a pig like that, is was pretty disturbing, and I ate meat at the time. So maybe there are better options?

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say.....say it now. Please be advised if your comment is crude, mean spirited or otherwize obscene or libelous, you won't see it. Otherwize, fire away and thanks for reading. George