...NEWS, POLITICS, LIFE AND BROOKLYN.

Friday, January 9, 2009

TELEVISION: A PRIVILEGE OR A LUXURY



Does every American deserve free television? That's what Congress and more so, President Elect Barack Obama believe. Congress has mandated that the broadcasting industry has the right to convert all of their transmissions from analog to digital, meaning if you don't have cable, satellite or a special converter box, you probably won't be receiving local television broadcasts. Congress has already spent 1.3 billion dollars to reimburse millions of Americans for the $40.00 cost of getting one of these boxes.



Congress seems to believe that every American MUST have television. The President Elect has gone a step further. He's now proposing that Congress delay the February 17, 2009 deadline so that more people have an opportunity to get those boxes. Essentially what that means is that Congress would have to spend even more money to compensate poor Americans who didn't grab up one of those converter redemption cards before the money ran out. The government has been spending millions of dollars to promote the end of analog T.V and the advent of digital.



I think every American deserves washers and dryers. Mine isn't working very well, so I believe the government should send me a check to get a new one. I mean, come on, how would we survive if we couldn't wash our clothes in the comfort of our own homes.
In fact, I've been thinking about getting satellite radio, but it's kind of expensive. Will Uncle Sam send me a check. What about all of those people who don't have stoves. The folks in the Mississippi delta should be compensated as well, many of whom, don't even have running water or electricity. Shouldn't they come first.



Why in the world does some couch potato in Anywhere, USA deserve television?
I've been reviewing the "Bill of Rights" and I'm not seeing anything there that REQUIRES Congress to provide me with T.V. service. "Thou shall not prevent people from watching T.V." is not in the Ten Commandments.

Listen, my bills are stacking up, there are improvements I'd like to make in my house, but you know what, I can't afford to do it right now. Many things I consider a luxury. For many, television is one of them. I know plenty of people who by choice don't have T.V sets. Some prefer radio, the transistor type. Others don't have a radio at all.



I actually think the world would be a better place, if Congress passed a law instituting a new T.V tax. Maybe $40.00 a year! It would encourage people to turn off the T.V and spend more time with their families and would raise money to pay for Barack Obama's massive ONE TRILLION dollar economic rescue plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say.....say it now. Please be advised if your comment is crude, mean spirited or otherwize obscene or libelous, you won't see it. Otherwize, fire away and thanks for reading. George